Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Business: Medicating Children - nytimes.com/video

In this video you see two different scenarios. In the first one, a mother regrets having allowed her two-year to be on five different prescriptions at one time! The second family, however, has a different opinion. Jessica, the seven-year old daughter of a single mother, is on pills for her "behavioral problems." Her mother says that it is easier with her child on the pills. But mom is what's easier for you to handle always the best for your child?? I'll let you be the judge, as you watch and see how "well" Jessica is doing on the drugs. Personally, I believe the drugs have negatively affected her development, and that a seven-year old shouldn't have to count her mother's fingers twice to tell someone her age. I understand some children have learning disabilities, but then don't put them on a drug and say that its helped them "be normal."

2 comments:

  1. Wow Caitlyn, this video is really powerful. It really shows how parents should think twice before putting their children on medication just because the doctor prescribed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caitlyn, this is a great video!!! I work with children and adults with physical and mental disabilities. Some of those disabilities include Autism, Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, and mental retardation. An overwhelming number are on medication (medicationS in many cases). Sometimes the medication does help them stay calm and focused and allows them to interact with others. On the other hand, the medication sometimes causes them to not be themselves. They get an almost vacant look in their eyes, like no one is inside them, and it is so heartbreaking to see. I know that for the Autism center they are opening soon at Caldwell, they are using Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), which I believe is a form of treatment for autism that does not use medication. I think it's a great idea!! The less foreign substances we have in our bodies, the better! I commend the first mother in this video for realizing the meds who doing her child harm instead of helping him and for taking him off them and trying a different form of treatment. I especially commend her goal of getting him completely off meds in five years!!

    ReplyDelete